Piikani Chief and Council released an update on the recent court cases. The Legal update was discussed at the recent band meeting, on March 14th.
For more information, click the PDF file below.
Notice of Piikani Nation Election
Piikani Nation Chief and Council
P.O. Box 70, Brocket, Alberta T0K 0H0 TELEPHONE: (403) 965-3940 FACSIMILE: (403) 965-3098
Issued by Piikani Nation Chief and Council this 5th day of December, 2022
The next Piikani Nation Election shall be held on January 9, 2023. The Chief Electoral Officer is Yvonne Provost and the Deputy Electoral Officer is Bernadette Michelle Smith. The nominating meeting will be held December 14, 2022, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., at the Community Hall in Brocket, Alberta. Advance polls will be held:
- In Calgary on December 28, 2022 between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., location TBA; and
- In Lethbridge on December 30, 2022 between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., location TBA.
Voting shall take place on the day of the Election between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., at the Community Hall in Brocket, Alberta.
Piikani Nation Community Update from Chief and Council
November 10, 2022
Click on the PDF file for more information on the Legal Update.
On September 13, 2022, Piikani Nation Chief and Council enacted revisions to the Piikani Nation Election Bylaw, 2002, and on October 4, 2022, Council enacted revisions to the Piikani Nation Election Regulations, 2002. Band council resolutions approving those revisions were posted to the Piikani Nation website shortly after they were enacted.
The revisions made to the Election Bylaw and Regulations were made to ensure that our elections legislation is clear, transparent and up-to-date. These changes will, among other things:
- Ensure there is no campaigning at polling stations or using recording devices at polling stations
- Ensure that candidates do not have a criminal conviction in the last five years
- Ensure that candidates have not been recently bankrupt, do not owe money to Piikani Nation and are not suing Piikani Nation
- Protect member privacy by making the electoral list available only for viewing, and not posting
There are a number of other changes as well. We encourage members to read the memorandum attached that sets out a more complete summary. PDF Download
The Consolidated Piikani Nation Election Bylaw, 2002 and Consolidated Piikani Nation Election Regulations, 2002 is available on the Piikani Nation website at https://piikanination.com/piikani-nation-legal/.
Questions about this matter may be directed to Corbin Provost, Chief Operating Officer, at email@example.com or (403) 965-3940.
Box 70, Brocket
Alberta, Canada, T0K 0H0
1555 17 Ave, Brocket, Alberta
M-F: 8 am – 4 pm